Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stormy Skies

Since we are expecting a big winter storm, I ended up postponing my lesson and working with the horses at home. The storm was slow arriving, and the arena was dry and nice this afternoon. Keno and Flyboy got a little crazy running around. Flyboy got over-excited and started showing off all his cool moves--jumping over the mounting block and the tire when they got in his way. He can twist and turn quicker than any horse I've ever known. (Not quite sure if that is a good thing or not....!) Keno got silly, too, rearing and acting all "tough-guy." They were trying to out-do each other until I finally corralled Keno so I could put Fly to work. I worked him at liberty until he was soft-eyed and sane again, and then we did a few "follow the feel" games. Within a few minutes he was soft and elastic and pliable--funny words to describe a horse maybe, but that describes his energy at the time.

After saddling, I rode for 40 minutes or so doing the same kinds of suppling exercises from the saddle, lots of bending, softening, changing the rein. Fly was great. His trot was forward and nice, he was mostly soft and relaxed, but a few times I had to work to keep him from popping his shoulder and drifting to the outside. That is probably position related on my part. I tried to be aware. Fly really just wanted to canter. He kept offering, but I held him to the trot for the most part. Serpentines, circles and figure eights at the walk and trot, and he stayed soft throughout. I let him stretch down several times. We also worked on a few turn on the forehand maneuvers and I introduced him to the idea of side passing. (Obviously he has done this in groundwork, but it was a first under saddle.)

We ended on a really good note; I unsaddled and tied Fly to the rail, brushed him and did a touch-up trim on his feet. He stood tied while I headed off to do barn chores.

Hopefully my trailer panel will be ready tomorrow. I need to get both horse down to the arena so they can really get out and move! If we're not snowed in tomorrow, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment