Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Warm Before the Storm? Not!

Since tomorrow's forecast is dire indeed, I decided Flyboy had to have a trail ride! We may be buried in snow again within twenty-four hours and lose the opportunity for who knows how long. Our last trail ride was December 30--two whole months ago! I called three friends, but no one could ride today. I decided we would trail ride, though, so after a small discussion about getting in the trailer, Fly and I headed out. (He loads perfectly fine if Keno is nearby, but balks when he is alone--we are working on this issue.)

Today the wind was whipping around pretty good and it was overcast, but it wasn't too cold. Ha ha---or so I thought. I took Fly out to the hills east of the freeway and saddled up. We also booted up for the first time in months. Easyboot Gloves, size 1, fit fairly well. I also wore my crash vest, SPOT satellite tracker, cell phone, and helmet of course.. Just call me cautious. Fly's head was six feet in the air and he was looking around at the great wide world like he'd never seen anything like it before! But he headed gamely up the road and onto the jeep trail. This is rocky country. Boulders everywhere! None of those more natural looking things seem scary to Fly, luckily. We headed up a very steep long hill at a walk. He wanted to go, but I held him mostly to a walk since he was a little jumpy. At the very top of the hill is a fence and a gate with a wilderness area sign. I believe Fly thought the sign said "Absolutely No Horses Beyond This Point," because he flatly refused to go any farther! It took about 5 minutes of doing small circles and lots of encouragement before he would pass that sign. But he did pass it and on the way back, he didn't hesitate. Good boy.

The wind at the top of the hill was fierce! And COLD. Freezing, actually. And all my long thermals were in the washing machine at home, wet! So I was feeling that wind! One thing is funny, though--of all the things that bother Fly, the wind is not one of them. Lots of horses get extra frisky and skittish on days like today, but not Fly. Maybe he has enough other things to worry about.

When we turned to head back to the trailer, he was a very good boy. No hurrying. He just walked out nicely and blew quite a few times. Hopefully he was letting out some of the tension he had been holding. He loaded like a champ and we headed for home, slightly frozen and wind chapped, but safe and sound!

Things about the ride I liked:
1. Fly has a good, forward walk.
2. Even though he was anxious, he still listened to me.
3. When he was scared of the sign, he didn't spin and run, or rear. Whew!
4. He walked nicely on the return.
5. Even though he was "spooky" acting, he didn't really spook at anything.

Things I didn't like:
1. I don't like horses to start backing up when they are frightened. He started backing up several times when I           asked him to approach the sign.
2. Gale force winds!

No comments:

Post a Comment