Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fun and Games

Well, since Mother Nature is acting quite fickle this week it was back to the arena again. Keno had a lesson to teach, and Fly did some schooling. The last two times we've been down there, Fly and I have struggled more than we were a few weeks ago. Perhaps it was the time off while I was away, or maybe it was just a phase we needed to work through. Maybe it was a more mechanical type reason--saddle fit or even rider error. (Yikes.) Whatever it was, it was gone today. Fly was close to perfect. He worked nicely and was soft and flexible. We worked mostly at the trot and walk, with just a few canter circles.

I have noticed that Fly anticipates and lifts into a canter too often, and I don't mean just when asked. At first I thought he was just offering because he enjoys it, but I have decided that is not quite right. I think this behavior (over-eagerness while working, while bridling, etc.) is actually a form of anxiety. I'm still figuring out what he is worrying about. He may be over-trying for good reasons: the desire to please, or trying hard to learn. Or he may be worried about not getting it right. Performance stress sort of.

This behavior reminds me of a horse rushing to a jump. Whatever Flyboy's reason, I want him to relax and realize there is no need to rush. No need to hurry. We're just taking our time. Willingness is great, but he doesn't need to hurry and jump into every request too quickly. So today we just worked on taking our easy, sweet, methodical time. Walk on. T-rot. And waaaalk. T-trot again. Nice and soft...now can-ter! Minimal rushing today, and much more relaxation and softness. This was a great lesson for me and very nice work on Fly's part.

Fly then got to stand at the rail while I taught a lesson. I have included lots of games in Olivia's lessons--because it's fun, of course, but also to help her "see" the bigger picture. She's doing a great job of putting it all together and using her new skills to get a job done. Today's game involved picking up and carrying the orange plastic cones from the barrel at one end of the arena to the barrel at the other end of the arena one at a time. This was a timed exercise! And she did a great job. At the end of the lesson I got back on Flyboy and Olivia and I competed against each other. It was pretty funny, but in the end Fly was getting into it. A nice change for him, too, and it's good to "see" the bigger picture in practice.
The Cone Competitors
Yesterday Keno got to go on his first trail ride in a while. I went alone since I didn't know if he might be sore on uneven ground. He had his hocks injected a few weeks back and I have noticed some residual stiffness. If he seemed sore or uncomfortable I planned to just turn around and head home again. As it turned out, he felt great and we had a good easy ride looking for shed antlers. (Didn't find any though!) The wind was cold but it was a beautiful ride on a great horse. I hope to take Fly there soon and start some hill work.

No comments:

Post a Comment