Friday, March 9, 2012

Gorgeous Spring Day

I know it can't really be spring yet, but man-oh-man was it nice today! I loaded Flyboy up and met my friend Gail near the hills east of town this afternoon. The ground is mostly dry out there, and the parking is easy (we parked on the road), and there is a spectacular view of....the freeway. OK, so it's not the most interesting location, but the hills are good exercise, the terrain is varied and vast, and the large herds of deer create some excitement. Although Fly seemed more interested in watching the cars passing on the freeway in the distance!

Fly was much better on this ride--his head wasn't quite as high, and he walked with purpose and even led the way voluntarily several times. The hills were a good workout. The "No Horses Allowed" sign was no longer a worry, which is a good sign! There are trails, but since the whole area is open for miles around it's nice to just go cross-country, too. We found a water tank and with a little encouragement both horses got close enough to sniff the water, then Fly suddenly plunged his head in halfway to his eyeballs! He munched on the dried out weeds as well.

Gail's horse, Annie, was a good girl. We rode north into the wind (chilly!) but heading back to the trailers it was nice and warm and we were just happy to be out in the sunshine! I want to go again tomorrow!


I will definitely ride tomorrow because I have to try the new (as in used, but new to me) saddle that the Big Brown Van delivered tonight. It's a Bandos Trail saddle--treeless and similar to the Black Forest Shasta. (More similar to the Torsion, or so I've read.) It does have some interesting features--adjustable stirrup placement, Y-girthing, and it seems to be a lot more flexible. The Shasta is quite stiff and seems to be bridging on both of my guys. I am hoping this Bandos will not cause the loin rubbing the Shasta has. I will trying it out and keep my fingers crossed. (I like the Shasta, but it's not working for Fly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment