Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Late Post

Well, I have not kept up with posting as I normally do! Monday was clear, sunny and a warm 60 degrees! Incredible for early March and I definitely planned on riding outside. My friend Tammy and I planned to meet and go for a trail ride out west of town. Unfortunately Flyboy picked the warmest day of the year to decide that he wasn't going to get in the trailer since Keno was not going.

Twenty minutes later, I called Tammy and advised her to head out without me since this was a test/battle I was not going to lose. I worked with Fly on the ground for another twenty minutes or so, until he was in a "thinking" frame of mind again. I asked him to step into the trailer and he did. I asked him to back out again. Get in again. We did this for a few minutes and then I closed the slant panel and took him to the fairgrounds parking lot where we repeated the exercise several more times. Then I took him out to Tammy's place to hang out till she got back. I was hoping she'd go out again with another horse!

Luckily she agreed and we headed out for an easy trail ride down a long straight dirt road. It was still sunny and warm, too! Fly was pretty good and loaded easily for the ride home.

Yesterday was lesson day again, so off to the arena we headed. The new saddle pad had arrived so I was anxious to try it. I have read good reviews about the Suberpad and was happy to get a good deal on Ebay! I rode Keno for a few minutes first and liked the pad very much. It helped the treeless saddle have a bit more "twist" on his wide body. He seemed quite comfortable as well and moved out nicely. Then I saddled Fly and rode with the same saddle and pad combo. Hmmm. Very different feel. It actually made my comfy, narrow guy feel much wider. Not necessarily a good thing---I like his narrowness! However, it was a short ride, so we will try again tomorrow. It will take a couple of rides to sort it out, I'm sure!

Today was windy and COLD, so no riding. March weather is weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment