Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Flyboy Comes Home


Well, I did it. I made it through the stressful days of horse shopping and finally found a horse I think has the athleticism, sound mind, and hopefully the heart to do endurance. I'm going to try again to bring a young, green broke horse into the adventures and excitement of endurance riding. (See www.gloryofthewind.blogspot.com)

Flyboy is a five year old BLM mustang. He was actually born in captivity, adopted early, and started by an experienced mustang trainer at the age of four. He was used at the National Ability Center in Park City for several months, but they decided he wasn't truly suited to therapy work, so they wanted to find him a place he could thrive and grow.

Well, big surprise: my horses are my therapists, so he is still doing therapy work! We'll see how he likes his new job soon. He has very little trail experience, is pretty green in his overall education, but seems to be willing and sensible. Besides that, he's very cute! (We will eventually get the neck muscles rearranged.) So follow the blog and watch our progress.

I'm taking him out on the Ponderosa Trail this afternoon. The very first big test will be to see if he crosses water! The river is not too high but is quite rocky and fast. The trail is steep, ledgy in a few places, rocky in others, but nothing too scary hopefully! It will be a great test to say the least. I'll take pictures if my hands aren't too full!

No comments:

Post a Comment