Monday, September 26, 2011

Into the Hills We Go

What a spectacular afternoon! Deep blue skies and incredible fall colors---doesn't get better than this!
Flyboy was great as we loaded into Tammy's trailer and headed up the canyon. He is getting better about the trailer, but he's still a little unsure of himself and backing out once or twice before staying put.

We took a "new to Flyboy" trail that was fairly rocky and eroded and uphill, and he handled it all like the good boy he is! Flyboy was happiest following Joker, Tammy's mustang gelding, but about halfway through the ride I put Flyboy in front and insisted that he take the lead. He was extremely tentative at first, but with lots of encouragement and urging and praise, he started to step out a little more confidently. Joker and Tammy were right behind us, but he kept checking just to make sure. What a huge improvement, though. He has a long way to go to become a truly confident guy, but the fact that he was willing to try was a great sign!

I booted Flyboy in Easyboot Gloves (only on the fronts) for the very first time today.  He went very well in them; they stayed on through the river, the rocks, the erosion, and even the bog. Flyboy did not like the bog!! It was scary! He handled himself just fine, but was sure it was going to suck us under. I think the size 1 Gloves are a bit big; they came off very easily when I got home. I should probably try the 0.5's. I didn't have any probs but we were only walking for the most part!


Flyboy has one annoying habit. He paces in the back of the pea gravel area behind the barn. It's strange because he is not penned up; he has the run of the place along with Keno. But when I go out to feed early in the morning, I can see the torn up ground where he has walked back and forth, back and forth. Not only is he tearing up my footing, which I work very hard to maintain, all the pivoting seems to be making him sore on his hind feet. This is a "stalled horse" behavior that he acquired at his previous place, but I am working on ways to break the pattern. I have laid tires in his path as well as a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I am also making a "hay tree" to hang an extra small mesh hay net to occupy his mind if he is bored. Time will tell if I am smarter/more resourceful than the horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment