Thursday, September 22, 2011

How Green Is This Horse Really?

Flyboy and I headed over to the trainer's place today. Ruth rode him for half an hour or so. She was impressed with how smart he seems and how willing to try he is. She was impressed that he didn't seem terribly spooky or worried. After riding him at the walk, trot, and canter out in the field, her assessment was basically that he simply lacks education. He didn't move off her leg because he really didn't understand what she was asking. He is not being obstinate or insensitive at all, he truly doesn't know how to respond to the pressure. (I have noticed that while he is very good at a lot of ground games, he does not move sideways easily or give to pressure on his barrel or shoulder. He backs well and yields his hind quarters and circles well. It is also difficult to get him to yield (drive) his front end into a circle away from me, although he is learning that very quickly already.)

Basically, Ruth thought he would be a fun training project and a good endurance prospect. She was a little surprised that his trot was not smoother (I think it's comfortable) with his big shoulder, but she thought his canter was wonderful. She said I should definitely get him halting and slowing better before I ask for much else. He gives his head to the side readily, but he doesn't give to the bit on the straight.

Everything Ruth said was pretty much in line with what I have already discovered. None of those issues put me off  at all. Those are all things I can address and deal with. The only thing that concerns me is that he occasionally drops his left hind or drags (slightly) his toe. It's not really obvious and I might not have noticed if she hadn't pointed it out. He may need a chiropractic appointment. I tried to call Dr. Bartlett, but it was too late--have to call tomorrow.

I am excited; I like this guy! His owner gave me a week or two to make sure he was "the one" so I just need to get him checked by the vet/chiropractor. I don't think it will be any real problem--he probably just needs an adjustment. Anyway, it was a successful day. Tomorrow I will pony him to the arena and work both horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment