Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween Ride

Looks like the SWAT team showed up!
This has got to be a Halloween for the record books! Lovely, mild sunny weather! Three of us headed up the canyon to ride around the Ponderosa Loop again. Absolutely amazing for this time of year! It's supposed to rain tomorrow, which probably means snow for the mountains, so this was quite likely our last ride up there this year. But it was a good one--Flyboy was excellent; he even led the way for quite a long stretch. He is getting braver and becoming a solid trail horse! The fall colors are gone from the mountain, but crunching through all the leaves was a blast. The bog was drier than the last time we were there, but it was iced over.

My two horses are fascinated, curious, and somewhat terrified of the trick-or-treaters out this evening. It was a hoot watching them trot toward the fence, stand really tall with arched necks, snort, and then bolt for the barn. Curiosity is a strong draw though, because a few minutes later and they were sneaking toward the fence again. Keno flat out refused to approach the fence while I was wearing a witch's hat, though. He just stopped and stared at me. Not even the enticing sound of the plastic Smarties wrapper could convince him to come up to me! (I see a friendly game coming on next week....!)

I am finally going to get a lesson from my friend, Marleen, tomorrow. If Fly and I are going to be arena junkies this winter, we need to get going properly. Dressage type proper is what I mean. I'll definitely write a post about how the lesson went tomorrow.

A bunch of us are planning to start playing equine soccer this winter. Fly will like it I'm sure. And it will be good for Keno, The Big Chicken, too. Seriously. You should have seen him tonight. Even the clown costume had him snorting boogers!

No comments:

Post a Comment