Monday, October 10, 2011

Reese's Flat (Should Be Called Reese's Steep!)

Fly sporting Easyboot Gloves

Lovely fall weather again--woohoo! My friend Tammy came and picked Fly and me up this afternoon, and we headed to Reese's Flat. Don't ask me why it's called that; it is most definitely not flat! This is a long dirt road that winds up through a narrow canyon to the flats on top (still not flat, though!) I once took my GPS and there is a 1000 foot elevation change in about two miles. Flyboy marched up that long, never-ending hill like a trooper. He was a little jumpy today. (Yes, Flyboy, I know that cougars could leap off the ledge on top of us, but still, we must go forward!) He was looking for the bogey man to start with but soon settled down. It was a beautiful fall day, cool and sunny.

I worked a little on passing Tammy's horse and taking the lead occasionally, Fly is definitely getting better about that, although we have room for progress. No aggression toward Joker at all today, thank goodness. Mostly we just climbed up and up and up, which of course meant that eventually we came down, down, down. Fly seems to handle going uphill easier than downhill. I got off and hiked down to give him a break.

Tomorrow Fly has an appointment with the chiropractor/vet. She will check him out and adjust him as needed.

This afternoon I siliconed the top of my trailer tack room which leaked a lot in last week's rain. Then I worked on enclosing the front gate area of the barn, which really piqued Flyboy's curiosity. He checked out my power tools and got downright nosey at times! I know winter is coming, so I'm trying to get prepared. Maybe I'll be a better sport about nasty weather if I feel ahead of the game. (I seriously doubt it, but it's worth a try.)

No comments:

Post a Comment