Thursday, December 29, 2011

50 Degree Riding!

Unheard of warm weather for this time of year and I am loving it! But that was not the best part of the afternoon--my ride on Flyboy was! He was fabulous!

We started by trailering to the arena. Keno came along too, as I was planning on giving him a good workout also. However, he is definitely sore on his right hind. I have been hoping I was imagining the little things I was seeing this past week, but he is short-striding at the trot and he stumbled when stepping his hind end up into the trailer--very uncharacteristic of him. Needless to say, I did not ride him. I think I'll call the chiropractor to check him out. I hope it's nothing serious! Keno ended up standing at the rail watching Flyboy show off his stuff.

I worked Fly on the ground a little bit before saddling him. He had not been ridden in two weeks so I was a little unsure of what his mind-set would be, but the ground work seems to help him pay attention to me and think about what we are doing. He was a little high headed to start with, gawking at the people out jogging with their dog; the big yellow tractor going by was exciting, and not one, but two trains blew by. Nonetheless I kept him working and Fly responded well.

I saddled him with the new saddle (which I LOVE) and the new Grandeur saddle pad. Under saddle Fly was very forward, soft and bent, and relaxed. His ears were much more forward which I think indicates he is happy; when he keeps them back he is worried and unsure of himself or uncomfortable. He never pins his ears, but he is pretty expressive with them, and I am learning to read him better. His trot was energetic and his canter was wonderful. He was very happy to canter in both directions which I think means he must be comfortable with the new saddle pad; we were having so many saddle issues before, but they seem to be resolved. (Knocking on wood here, people!)

Circles, serpentines, trot poles, halts, rein backs, etc., and walk, trot, and canter. It was great. Fly kept offering to canter, even when I was asking for a trot, but he was not running away with me or rushing, he just liked cantering! I liked it, too! Tomorrow's trail ride should be a fun change for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment