Friday, December 30, 2011

End of the Year Trail Ride

This year has been a roller coaster in many ways so I suppose it is fitting that the Roller Coaster Hills should be my last ride of 2011. My friend Sharon and I headed out this afternoon and although it was windy, it was not cold! Not even cold enough to wear my gloves! WooHoo--I love it! The trails out in those hills are quite rocky. There are short, steep hills, one after the other for a couple of miles. We bushwhacked our way through the cedars and sagebrush and rocks in a few places. Flyboy was very good, not spooky at all, but not confident enough to take the lead willingly. Still, I was pleased as this was his first trail ride in about a month! He was feeling the rocks on the way back, so when we hit the gravel road leading to the trailer, I hopped off and walked the last quarter mile or so. It was mostly a walk ride because of all the rocks, but we did get in a few long trots.

I trailered both horses to Sharon's and left Keno in the pasture while we rode. I know I can't baby Flyboy forever, but I am hoping to help him relax in the trailer again by keeping another horse nearby. He has anxiety about trailering, for sure, but he was pretty good about it today. He loads well, but stresses when the slant is closed. Keno doesn't mind being a babysitter, so that works for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment