Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Trailer Drama (Again. Sigh.)

Well, I officially just don't get it. I'm frustrated with trying so hard not to get frustrated over the trailer drama I had today with Flyboy. We had a one o'clock vet appointment to get his stitches removed. The vet's office is forty minutes from here. At ten to twelve I haltered Fly and played a few ground games with him including the "following the feel" exercises we have been doing. I then asked him to step into the trailer. He did not want to. I sent him in, praised him when he did put two feet inside. Within very short order he became fractious and obstinate. He reared. He backed up. He crowded into me. I just don't get it.

I did not rush him. I don't think I was unfair. I tried sending him in as well as leading him in. Forty minutes later I gave up and opened up the slant panel. I was able to get him in and quickly close the door. He "paced" back and forth a bit, and I could feel him moving around as I drove. Needless to say, we were late for our appointment.

At the vet's we also had a little drama. I warned them that Fly panics if he feels trapped, but the vet wanted to try to remove the stitches without tranquilizing him, so he wrapped the lead around the bottom bar of the front stocks gate. Sure enough, Fly pulled against the pressure and reared up, getting one front leg over the top bar of the stocks and the other in between the two top bars on the side gate! Luckily once he figured out that he was stuck he quit panicking and they were able to open the gate enough to get him free. It took about thirty seconds to remove all the stitches once he had a shot of tranquilizer. And of course, drugged, he loaded like a champ for the drive home.

Today I am tired of the drama. I know most days have been far better, but the problem still exists. He does not give to pressure. That is the very root of the problem. I want to get it solved so we can get on with other aspects of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment