Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dog Valley in the Rain!

The weather was looking rather "iffy" this afternoon as my friend, Tammy, and I headed out to ride in Dog Valley. She came to pick us up since my truck was in the shop! (Yesterday's plans got messed up because of that--but more about yesterday later!)

Dark clouds aside, the temperature was great and the wind kept us cooler than we've been in weeks. Flyboy was relaxed and seemed happy to be out on the trail again. He didn't seem to mind the little bit of rain falling on us. He was content to follow Tammy's horse Joker up the trail, no spooking at "The Rocks" this time at all! Yay! When we got through the hills to the valley floor we picked up a trot; this was the first time he has been asked to keep a sustained trot in company with another horse. He did great! Just an even working trot--not racing down the trail, but not a western pleasure trot, either! Flyboy looked at the sheet metal lying in the sage brush (see Set. 29, Fly Solo) but did not spook this time. Smart boy!

Tammy and I worked together taking turns leading out. Fly didn't want to go in front at first, but he was brave about trying and eventually he trotted out in the lead. We took a different route than his last visit and saw some new territory. He spooked once at a tree limb that was hanging at an unnatural angle. Hmmm. Silly guy.

About halfway into the ride, Flyboy came up alongside Joker and was offering to take the lead. I was excited; this was a great step in the right direction. But as he passed Joker, he swung his hindquarters in and threatened to kick! I was shocked since he has been completely passive toward other horses and even dogs. I pulled him up and dropped behind again. A few minutes later I asked him to pass Joker again. These are two-track trails; there is plenty of room, so he can't feel too crowded, but again he had an aggressive moment and threatened to kick poor Joker. That time I got after him. That is not acceptable behavior. I will carry my crop next time and give him a sharp spank if he thinks about kicking. It's very odd--why he would suddenly try something like that? He's been so tolerant and agreeable so far. And Joker got so anxious!

Anyway, except for those couple of moments, Flyboy did great! We had some long trots and made some great progress toward becoming more confident at leading out. And the weather cleared up and the sun came out. Can't beat that!  I had so much fun I forgot to take any photos, though.

Yesterday: Yesterday I spent 20 minutes playing trailer loading games with Fly. When I finally closed the slant panel, I headed to the fairgrounds arena. As I pulled into the parking lot, my truck started making an awful racket! Great. I ended up going straight to our mechanic with Flyboy still in the trailer. After a quick look, I was advised to go drop off my trailer and bring the truck back--something like the belt bearings were shot.

Flyboy thought he was done for the day since I put him back in the corral, but after riding my bike home from dropping off the truck I tacked him up and rode in my arena at home. I set out some trot poles, a couple of jump standards, and a barrel to play around. We worked on steering (lots of serpentines and figure eights), softening, halting, and lots of transitions using just voice and seat. We also worked on a few turns on the forehand (he had to listen to my leg for those!) and I even introduced him to half-halts. He did really well and stayed fairly relaxed throughout. He changes directions really easily with just my seat and legs! He's very clever over the trot poles. I know it's going to take a while to teach him all this, but I see real potential! He's very smart and seems very willing.

I am hoping for decent weather tomorrow, but they are predicting snow in the mountains! How do you figure that?? It was a hundred degrees only a week ago!!

No comments:

Post a Comment