Saturday, October 8, 2011

Indoor Arena Once More

The rain poured down again all morning. This has been one incredibly soggy week! I am trying to not let the wet weather get to me, and decided I would take the horses down to the fairgrounds to ride regardless. Amazingly enough, I had the entire indoor arena to myself again.

I let the boys run and play for a while, and then I saddled Flyboy. Once again he had a pulling back problem! I need a tie ring to use on him for a while--pulling back is so not good!

I worked with Fly for an hour. We did lots of circles, working on softening, bending, yielding to my leg, and transitions. He is better (more balanced and softer) to the left. To the right, he tends to fall in on his shoulder, and rush the trot. His trot is very easy to sit, so I just focused on staying relaxed and trying to be very clear with my leg and hands. He'll go along soft in the mouth for a half circle or so and then he braces and pulls on the reins. I'm not asking for much, just softness, forwardness, and relaxation. He had some great moments, although he's not consistent yet. That doesn't bother me at all; we're just getting started and it will take time. But the good moments are super encouraging! And he kept trying!

Flyboy moves off my leg so much better now after just a few rides. I can tell he is really starting to understand more and more. We worked on halts, too, because I think he could be hard to stop if he wanted to be. He halts very well for the most part, but I want him to not brace at all, and to halt straight.

I asked Fly to canter for the first time today. Wow! Very, very soft and comfy! We cantered several circles in both directions and he was great! I loved it, and I think he did, too. When I jumped off, I rubbed his face and really loved on him: I think he knew he had done well! I untacked him to let him go roll, but he just stood with his head in my arms for the longest time!

Tired, relaxed boy!
Trailer loading today was a piece of cake! Going and coming home Fly just stepped into the trailer like a pro! He got in first; Keno took the back slot (where he barely fits!) I don't tie Flyboy, since I don't trust him not to pull back, but he rides quietly. Ahhhh. Progress feels good! Hopefully on Monday we can get out on trail again.

No comments:

Post a Comment