Saturday, October 22, 2011

Solo Shenanigans, Saddle Switching, and Sunshine

We had an interesting ride today. Interesting in several ways--some good, some not so good. I took Flyboy out to the west hills today to try out a couple of new ideas in regards to saddles and saddle pads, and also to try the Kimberwick bit out on a real ride. (I tried it on him in the arena yesterday with very good results!)

This morning I borrowed a saddle from my friend, Sharon, in hopes of finding something that fits him better than my super-secure comfy-for-me but too-wide-for-him Aussie Longreach endurance saddle which has rubbed the hair on his back/loin. Sharon loaned me a Wintec English saddle with a medium tree. This afternoon I planned to ride a loop of a couple of miles in that saddle, coming back to the trailer to switch saddles and then ride another loop in my Stubben jumping saddle. I wanted to compare fit and comfort.

It took me a few minutes to tack up. The Wintec didn't look like a good fit from the start. I could see possible pressure point issues with the back of the panels. Instead, I saddled up using my jumping saddle which is a wide tree, but it actually doesn't seem like a bad fit--weird because when I am on Flyboy I feel like I am riding a plank. He feels very narrow! In any case the saddle seemed OK; I used a 1/2" felt protector pad and a thin foam pad that was with Sharon's saddle. He had plenty of wither clearance, too. I used the breast collar of course, since this guy has zero waist and any saddle is going to slide back on him.
English chap

I booted his front feet and bridled him. The Kimberwick is a solid-mouth ported bit with a curb chain that I kept quite loose. It took Flyboy about fifteen minutes to get in sync with me in the arena, so I was ready to try it on trail. I wore my florescent orange vest since today is the opening day of the deer hunt. (It would have to be a pretty dumb hunter to be looking for deer out in these dry, waterless hills, but you never know!) I did not wear my crash vest for the first time on trail with Flyboy. I figured he was so good and steady on his "big boy" ride the other day, I didn't need to worry about it anymore. (After the accident I had on Riyah last year, I just made it my policy to wear it on green horses. That accident hurt!)

We headed out after doing a few circles in the sage brush just to let him get a feel for this bit again and the different saddle. My jumping saddle has been to lots of shows and mini-events with Keno, but these days it is also my trail saddle with him. I have replaced my English irons with a pair of endurance stirrups complete with toe cages. (Sounds odd and to some, even irreverent perhaps, but it is the epitome of comfort, and crossing cultures like that may help bring about world peace.)

Today Fly was looking for the bogey man behind every tree. There weren't any, but he was looking anyway. Maybe it was my neon orange vest, I don't know, but he was pretty hesitant and gawky and jumpy for the first mile or so. After that he seemed to settle down a bit and we trotted the next couple of miles. I had given up on the short loop idea since the other saddle didn't seem to be a good match. I wanted to cover eight to ten miles if he seemed comfortable with this saddle.

At this point I need to mention that for the last couple of weeks I have been planning to take Flyboy to Moab for the endurance ride next week, not to compete, but just to camp and experience the experience basically. However. After the big ride the other day, a couple of friends encouraged me to think about riding in the 25-miler with him. He certainly seems fit enough physically. Sweet temptation! I would love to do the ride! I've only been to one ride this year. It would be so fun! Maybe he could do it? Should we try? As I was riding this afternoon, these thoughts were running around in my head. If I could get in ten solid miles that would help me decide if he could possibly do it.

Well, there's nothing like a few unsettling shenanigans to humbly help me realize that Flyboy is still green and just learning how to be a brave trail horse. About four miles from the trailer Fly suddenly saw the bogey man (I never did, but he obviously did!) He stopped suddenly and started backing up. I tried to reassure him. I asked him to go forward. Fly whirled around! I had two thoughts going through my head. Number one: don't fall off because it will upset Fly. And number two: why didn't I wear my crash vest because I almost came off!  I kept Fly facing the bogey man trail and eventually calmed him down and we carried on. It took a few minutes for him to relax again, but eventually he did.
See that ground? Looks hard, huh?

I realized this most likely would not have happened if another horse was there to give him confidence. But, you know, even if you plan to ride with a buddy at an endurance ride, you may end up alone. Your buddy may get pulled. Or maybe the buddy gets upset by something and freaks out and needs your horse to give him confidence. Flyboy is not prepared to handle twenty-five miles of unknown challenges yet. I mean, seriously. Cedar trees are still scaring him! He just needs to slowly build more confidence in himself and in me. He needs more miles with buddies and without, and more time. He needs to trust my leadership. Physically he may be able to manage twenty-five slow miles, but emotionally and mentally he is not ready to face that, even though we have had some great rides lately. I am sure he is going to be ready eventually. I am going to be patient and stick with my first plan. Go camp at Moab, play, have fun, ride a couple of miles on nearby trails, and come home. Then: carry on until spring helping this guy grow some confidence and skills, so we will be ready to begin.

I read a great article in Endurance News recently. It was called, The Early Years: Bloom, Don't Break, by Stagg Newman and John Crandell III. The article says first, develop the mind, then the body. I am still working on developing Flyboy's mind. I want to do right by him and I'm not going to rush him or over-face him. I will be patient.

Sunshine! 70 degrees. Fantastic riding weather continues! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment