Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fun and Games

This evening I took the horses to the outdoor arena to let them run and play. They did!

I actually ended up saddling Flyboy and rode for half an hour or so. I had been wanting to try a rope halter/bitless bridle on him to see if he likes it. It is a cross-under type bitless bridle, sort of a Dr. Cook's type idea, but it can also be used as a side pull. I used to ride Gypsy in it occasionally. This was Fly's first ride in it, but I don't think I liked it on him. I don't feel like he is really getting a release when he softens. The cross-under chin "straps" are the same rope the halter is made of, and I don't thinks the rope slips back through the rings easily or quickly enough to give a good release. Fly was OK in it, I had good brakes, I think, but he didn't follow my feel at all and was somewhat resistant. I put the regular bridle with the full cheek snaffle I usually ride him in on, and we repeated the exercises. MUCH better--softer and bendy. I hope to move him to a bitless bridle eventually, because it's just easier for endurance. I'll play with this one again, but I wasn't too impressed.

I will probably head to the arena again tomorrow to ride both horses. Fly needs an easy day, because on Thursday we are planning a ride to the Red Rock Pasture! My very favorite trail--and it should be beautiful! The deer hunt starts this Saturday, and it would be risky to ride down there next week. This will be a big ride for Flyboy. It a fairly tough mountain trail with a few really technical parts, lots of creek crossings, and a long climb back out. I promised him I would get off and walk some of the time to give him a break! He's gonna join the big boys if he does well on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment