Friday, November 18, 2011

Bob Marshall Sports Saddle

Near gale force winds made it impossible to ride anywhere but in the indoor arena today. Just getting the horses loaded and unloaded in the wind was an adventure! However, all was quiet and calm inside, and of course I was the only one down there. I only have my friend's saddle on loan for today and tomorrow so I had to try it out!

The Bob Marshall Sports Saddle is a treeless leather saddle. This one is an endurance model belonging to a good friend who has logged over 20,000 miles with the American Endurance Ride Conference. I assume most of those miles were done in this saddle. It has been modified by a saddle maker to have a cutback pommel.

I rode Keno first and after struggling with the western cinch for ages, finally mounted from the ground with a loose cinch. No slipping amazingly enough even though Keno is 15.3H. I tightened the cinch from the saddle with a bit of a struggle. Keno immediately moved out very well--forward, big trot, relaxed. The arena footing is too deep and hadn't been worked today; usually Keno is sluggish and less motivated when it's hard going. Today he seemed willing and happier. Hmm. He also felt quite wide, which he is, but I am used to a saddle with much more twist. I don't know what size the saddle is, but it may be too small for me; the front of my thighs bumped the sides of the pommel when I was posting. Not a problem in the arena maybe, but not good on a long ride.

My friend Tammy stopped by the arena and actually showed me how to do up a western cinch. Well, duh. OK, now that was much easier! It's been a while since I have used a cinch, I guess!

Flyboy also went well in this saddle, although I think something was bugging him a little. He was soft and very forward, but he swished his tail every so often like he was agitated. He hasn't done that much before. I do think the length of the Bob Marshall is too long for him. He has a short back and the saddle pad rubbed across his loin a bit. Other than that, he seemed comfortable. I was very comfortable on him. He's not nearly so wide as Keno, so I was in a more familiar position. We rode walk, trot, and canter. No slipping, mounted from the ground, and I felt quite secure. I also felt like it put me in a very good position. I am very impressed with the saddle! Too bad they are out of my price range for now.

The good news is I have purchased a different saddle already and it will arrive on Monday! After days of research and study, I bought a Black Forest Shasta. It's also treeless, but has a built-in gullet, takes a regular dressage girth (one I know how to use!) and weighs less than 15 pounds. I have been quite impressed with the online reviews. I will give a report on that saddle next week. I am hoping one saddle will work for Flyboy, Keno, and me. Fingers crossed and waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment