Saturday, November 5, 2011

Let's Play!

What a cold, windy, snowy day! I didn't try to ride, but just played with the horses here at home instead. We played with the tarp, which Flyboy stomps and paws to death, and we played with the ball--same intent! Fly walks and trots over the tarp quite well but is somewhat unsure of having it on him or up above him. I rubbed him with it and laid it on him like a blanket. He was wary, but tolerated it all without moving his feet. I used a lot of "approach and retreat" and that seemed to help him. He actually did better than Keno did with all the tarp play. Fly really does go after the ball, bumping and pawing at it. (Keno runs from it unless I keep him on the lead rope close to me.) It will be fun when we start our equine soccer games.

I also set up a low jump to send Fly over. He trotted very enthusiastically over it. He has a powerful jump, but obviously didn't think this 12" pole was worthy of a real effort! I need to get a photo of him going over a proper jump; his scope totally surprised me!

Flyboy's attitude showed up a little while on the lunge line--mostly just the "it's cold and I'm frisky" attitude. So we worked on all the seven games--yielding in every direction, going sideways, backing through the gate, and going through a very narrow "squeeze" forward and backward. I kept him quite busy for forty-five minutes. Flyboy has made tons of progress in the month and a half I have had him, and I can't wait to see what the next few months bring.

It's awkward taking pictures with a cell phone camera in one gloved hand while lunging a frisky horse in the cold wind with the other. It's a funny picture, but please appreciate the degree of difficulty by which it was obtained!

No comments:

Post a Comment