Monday, November 7, 2011

Fly With Me (at the arena again, sigh.)

Relaxed after his workout, watching Keno and me.
It's cold and windy today, but it's the wind that makes it hard to be outside. I can handle cold temperatures by dressing for it: layers upon layers, and polar fleece socks. (They're the best!) But an icy wind is just plain miserable, so we headed to our "private" county arena again. The ground had just been worked, and we had it all to ourselves again. I don't know where the other horse enthusiasts are hanging out, but not down here. For fifty bucks a year I have a pretty sweet deal--three outdoor arenas and one indoor, usually all to myself. I totally prefer riding out on trails, but I'm grateful for a dry, wind-free arena when the trails are not so good.

Flyboy was great today. We did just a little bit of ground work and then saddled up. He was very forward, and quite soft and bendable on the circles. His trot felt good. I tried to keep my position correct because it influences him so dramatically. Of all the horses I have ridden, he is the most sensitive. Even more than my Arab mare, Riyah, which is pretty hard to believe. But just a tiny change in my body changes (helps) him. He seems quite willing to listen and try, and just lengthening or stretching my outside leg and ribcage, or "hugging" him softly with my legs, or keeping my hips/shoulders in line with the circle makes a big difference.

Marleen asked me to start asking for a rein-back every time I ask him to halt, and to start by lifting my reins. She said eventually he would learn that just the lift meant back up. Well, he has already figured that out! He is definitely smart.

Cantering Fly is like flying--seriously, he has an incredibly soft and easy canter. The steering is getting better, but still has lots of room for improvement. Although I love his canter, we worked mostly in trot today, and we practiced steering and staying straight on a straight line. That is the hardest! He is totally wiggly on a straight course; that's where the "leg hugging" came into play. He needs lots of help and support to stay straight. I worked him on the rail for a while, too, and that seemed to help.

Well, as much fun as I have had at the arena, I am ready for a trail ride. Tomorrow I will try to find a friend brave enough to head out into the cold. If not, I'll Fly solo!

No comments:

Post a Comment