Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lesson Time Again

I have got to get a better photo!
Fly and I had a fabulous lesson with Marleen today. We really worked on getting him bending and softening, and me being clearer and getting a quicker response to aids. We worked on me keeping my focus (and therefore my horse's) and not paying attention to distractions, and today was a good day for that! Our normally quiet outdoor arena was quite a busy place today--dump trucks, a riding lawn mower, horse trailers, a passing horse, and semi trucks crossing the parking lot! Lots of distractions to ignore! I am going to have to practice because it doesn't come naturally to me. But Flyboy did great--only one or two small spooks and right back to work.

Marleen also suggested I get Fly down to the arena when there are activities going on. Usually around our little cowboy town that means jackpot ropings, high school rodeo practices, etc. I can just tie him at the rail and hang out for an hour or so. That will help him and it will definitely help me, I think. Nine times out of ten I ride alone at the arena in the afternoons, so I guess I better start mixing it up even though I love having the place to myself!

We had a few glorious moments during this lesson. When Fly softened, he really softened and his movement felt different. Using different muscles to carry himself properly was hard work!  He started stretching down, too. At one point his canter was like flying: his shoulders came up, he was coming under himself from behind and it was the coolest thing ever! We mostly got short "glimpses" of things to come, but when we can sustain that movement it is going to be awesome! His muscling will change and he's going to look buff.

I have decided I just can't ride in the new Aussie saddle. It has to go back. I'm sad since I have enjoyed the Longreach so much and thought another Aussie saddle would feel the same. Sigh.... The search goes on. I am looking at a couple of treeless saddles again. I used to have a Freeform, but sold it to help pay some vet bills. I am going to ride in a Bob Marshall Sports Saddle over the weekend (borrowed from a generous friend.) I am seriously considering a Black Forest Shasta as well. I want my boy to be comfy and enjoy his job. Of course, I want to be comfy, too!

By the way, the new slow feeders are working out well, especially for Keno. Fly tries picking up the metal gridwall with his teeth, but so far he can't get it out of the wooden box!

No comments:

Post a Comment