Saturday, November 26, 2011

Fly's Eyes

Luckily Flyboy's eyes are no longer very swollen. I know the one deep cut over his left eye is still pretty sore since he won't let me touch it. He is still sensitive about the top of his head, too, poor guy. But he's been pretty active and even ran out to the fence to greet Keno when we returned from our ride, so overall, he is healing and will hopefully be back to work under saddle by Monday.

I have been playing with saddle pad options for the new Black Forest Shasta saddle. Right now I have added 3/4"' closed cell foam inserts to the original memory foam inserts in my Equipedic pad. (This pad has had hard use for four years, so I know the original foam can't be in great shape.) This combo seemed to work pretty well for Keno today--it kept the gullet off his high withers for a short ride. He could probably use shims since he has such a steep wither to shoulder slope! Although he feels much wider in this saddle than in my treed English saddle, I am quite comfortable, and the saddle feels very stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment