Tuesday, November 8, 2011

C-c-cold Canyon Ride

OK, so I have brave friends after all! I didn't coerce, bribe or threaten. I just called and suggested a ride up in the canyon and three of them showed up! The horses were all feeling good and energetic with the cold. My dog Duke was excited, too, since he hadn't been on a ride with me for a couple of weeks. Flyboy was very good. We were saddled and ready to ride before everyone else arrived, but he was relaxed as we schooled a few circles and figure eights while they saddled up.

Flyboy was wearing Easyboot Gloves on his fronts, and for the first time I wonder if they really are a good fit. I haven't had any boot failures, but he was definitely not walking out the way he should have. It felt like he was short-striding on his left front. Or at least not giving me a heel-first landing. I know the saddle fit is poor (the new saddle is on the way), and that could have affected his way of going, too. But at the end of the ride I removed his boots and his heel bulbs were rubbed a bit on both feet. Hmmmmm. Boots, saddle, heels, frogs...? More investigation is needed. At times he trotted out strongly and rhythmically, but at other times he was cautious and short. Hmmmm.

Over all Fly was great, he even led out a bit, although it is his very clear preference to stay in second place. He's very funny about it, but that's where he will put himself if he's allowed to choose. He will lag behind and stay relaxed, too as the picture shows. I got off and walked for a long stretch on the way back. Good exercise for me and maybe a little relief if something was bothering him.

Keno was a lesson horse today, and will be again tomorrow, so Flyboy will hang out at the arena with us and watch Keno do circles. Hopefully I will be able to ride him for a few minutes, too. If he's sore or short in the arena, I will know it's not the boots. He felt great down there yesterday, so I don't think it could be anything too serious. Perhaps I should actually measure him to check his boot fit; it could provide a clue...

No comments:

Post a Comment